Choice of product
- Treat furniture, terraces, and landing quays in permanent outdoor use as instructed with products that do not form a film, such as Valtti Puuöljy Akva (Wood Oil Akva), Valtti Puuöljy (Wood Oil), Valtti Kalusteöljy Ruskea (Wood Oil Brown), or semi-transparent wood finishes like Valtti Akvacolor or Valtti Color.
- You can treat hardwoods and heat-treated surfaces with oil, transparent wood stain, lacquer, or paint. Always use tinted products on heat-treated surfaces.
- With landing quays, treat rust-prone metal parts above the water line with Rostex Super and Miranol.
- Always choose a tinted product, since colourless oil, semi-transparent wood finish or lacquer does not provide adequate UV protection.
- Oil treatment will deepen the wood's natural colour.
- Once or twice a year, apply oil to furniture, terraces, and landing quays in permanent outdoor use.
- If you to treat garden furniture with semi-gloss Unica Super Lacquer, always use glossy Unica Super Lacquer for the first coat.
- Always use oil on surfaces that have been previously treated with oil.
- As well as a water-borne oil product, you can also use solvent-thinned oil for surfaces treated with water-borne oil, and vice versa.
- You can also use solvent-borne Valtti Color semi-transparent wood stain for surfaces treated with water-borne Valtti AkvaColor, and vice versa.
- Wash the surfaces that have been attacked by mould with Homeenpoisto (Mould Removal), using a ratio of 1 part agent to 3 parts water or a 0.5 litre can of Tehopesu (Power Cleaner) to 5 litres of water. Brush the mould removal solution upwards and let the solution take effect for 30 minutes. Rinse with plenty of water, brushing from the top downwards.
- The surfaces will need to be treated with maintenance cleaner after washing.
- When you remove mould, protect yourself and any surfaces not being painted from splashes.
- Always read the instructions on the product label before use.
- The best weather for painting is when it is warm and overcast.
- Ensure that the wood to be treated is dry before starting.
- Choose the same colour undercoat and topcoat.
- When applying semi-transparent products, the final colour of the surface to be treated depends on the species, hardness and original colour of the wood, and the number of times it has been treated. Test a small area before application.
- When applying semi-transparent products, always apply continuously in the direction of the grain for an even finish.
- Let new impregnated wood weather for at least six months before surface treatment.
- Check the condition of treated surfaces and retreat as required.
- Stir products thoroughly both before and during application. After stirring, allow Miranol to gel again before application.
- Remember to thoroughly treat the ends of the wood to prevent moisture from entering them.
- If you continue painting the following day, put the paint roller or brush in a plastic bag and seal tightly overnight.
- Allow the paint to dry thoroughly. Letting just the paint or lacquer surface to dry is not sufficient. Depending on the product and thickness of the coat applied, final drying can take anything from a few days up to two weeks.
- You can remove dirt from painted or treated surfaces in good condition with maintenance cleaner, which does not require further treatment.
- Check the surfaces annually and maintain when necessary!
- If there is any paint or lacquer left over, put the lid carefully back on the can to form a tight fit. Turn the can upside down for a moment to make the lid airtight. Opened and/or tinted products cannot withstand prolonged storage.
- Take liquid paint waste to a hazardous waste collection point. Empty or dry cans can be taken to a recycling point or to a public waste disposal site.