Overcoating concrete block surfaces with Yki Socle and reparation mortar (Yki Sokkeli- ja oikaisulaasti)
- Always level out new and uneven concrete surfaces with Yki Socle and reparation mortar before applying Rough Coating or paint.
- Always overcoat new concrete surfaces with Yki Socle and reparation mortar by spreading it with the long straight edge of the trowel. Yki Socle and reparation mortar is not suitable for painted surfaces.
- After spreading, smooth down the surface in long strokes with the long straight edge of the trowel.
- This will usually produce a sufficiently smooth surface – if not, after 20 to 40 minutes smooth down for finishing with a soft, damp rubber trowel. Only smooth down when the surface is firm enough not to stick to the trowel.
- Cover the concrete surface with plastic sheeting or spray water on to it every morning and evening for 2 to 4 days.
- Apply Yki Rough Coating at least 2 weeks after the mortar overcoating has dried.
- Mortar overcoating coverage is approx. 5-10 kg / sq m when the coat is 2-5 mm thick. Add a 25 kg sack of mortar powder to 4-5 litres of clean water to produce 13-14 litres of mortar ready for use.
- Largest grain size is 0.6 mm.
- Mix mechanically into an even mass and let it settle for 10 min. Mix again, adding water if it is too stiff to spread. Only mix as much mortar as you can use within an hour.
- Overcoating should be as durable as Yki Socle and reparation mortar, for example. If you can make a fingernail imprint in moistened, hardened mortar, then it is too soft for use. If wiping your dry palm across the surface loosens sand particles and small stones from it, then it is too sandy and therefore unsuitable.
- Apply a sufficiently thick overcoat layer (2-5 mm) to cover concrete block joints.
- If there are visible signs of efflorescence (salt deposits) on the surface caused by dampness, apply silicone-based Yki or Kivisil Primer or Alfasil Silicone Sealant to the plinth after overcoating. Treating the surface with primer reduces efflorescence and thereby the risk of damaging the coating.
Working with Yki Rough Coating (Yki Rouhepinnoite)
- Take some coating from the can with a small trowel and spread it over the steel spatula.
- Apply Yki Rough Coating from the bottom upwards using the long edge of the trowel.
- Then spread the coating from the top downwards.
- Apply Yki Rough Coating with a steel spatula approx. one sq metre at a time.
- Remove over-thick coating by scraping the surface firmly with the steel spatula.
- After spreading, smooth down the damp surface immediately by pressing lightly with a Tikkurila plastic trowel in circular movements.
- If the plastic trowel sticks to the surface, the coating is too thick.